Recently our house has gone through a major refurbishing in a process of taking it back to the original look from around the year 1900.
This major undertaking included replacing the windows with modern replicas of original style.
The building prior to the transformation. My studio and show room on the ground floor.
Siv Helen doing a great job giving the house a propper coat of paint. The final touch. Note the reclaimed slate tiles and the great windows from Flygansvær Trevare (Vestlansvinduet) custom made locally on Tysnes.
Such a major refurbishing produces an abundance of materials that are mostly taken to the dump. However, I try to keep an eye open for anything the can be reused. To my surprise, the old large window in the front, was fully made from solid teak. I accidentally noticed the exclusive look of the wood whilst braking the darn thing down to manageable pieces for dispatching. It surely looked like some expensive type of wood from the rain forest.
As these types wood are considered non sustainable in our times, this was a rare opportunity to make some rather nice frames. I would hate to see such beautiful material go to waste.
The pieces were cut on an electric table saw and then glued together. I tried to make them in formats suitable for my prints.
The result was very pleasing.
I managed to produce six individual frames in various sizes from the single window.
A final note: I do not cut and mount the actual prints into the frames myself. My professional framer at Dahls Rammeservice in Haugsund was experiencing some difficulties during the mounting and kindly instructed me to make a note of this. I used some canola oil to treat the surface. I would recommend not to soak the inside of the frame with any such treatment, as it made the mounting tape unable to adhere to the wood.